Sunday, June 06, 2010

Playing with waste scraps

I have not blogged for so long that I am really embarrassed. The worst of it is that I have had a spectacular year with some truly amazing trips but have been so busy I have not blogged any of it. However - I have just had a bit of fun with fabric and thought it might be a good one to lead me back to blogging.

The challenge for my local quilt show this year is Go Green.

I know - they will probably get fifty green small quilts. Each has to be 50 cm x 70 cm. I know there are options on thinking about how to reduce waste, use of power - any environmental issue in fact.

I had a day up my sleeve, and I felt like a bit of mindless playing.

I decided to make use of a small bag of fabric pieces from dyed scraps - actually scraps from scraps. I have no idea why I did not throw these out years ago but they have been drifting around and now and again I consider chucking them - and do not quite do it. There were mostly very small pieces but a few positive/negative images left over from contemporary techniques class I used to run.

I always set a few personal rules on any project. I decided that I had to pick up a piece from the scrap box and sew it to something green.

IMG_0790.JPG

Then I had to join those pieces together and keep doing so until I could cut a few little blocks from the piece.

IMG_0788.JPG

Some of the scraps had already been sewed together but I treated these as one. I used a range of different green hand dyed fabrics as my filler fabrics. I opted for straight line piecing and just cut the bits of green off with scissors at the machine.

Because the first piece I took from the ironing board to the cutting mat divided neatly into four pieces that were 3 1/2 x 4" I decided that would do as my size. If I ever repeated this exercise I would cut the pieces square as then I could turn them around.

IMG_0794.JPGIMG_0793.JPG

If a piece was missing a corner I just sewed a bit on. If a bit was left over I sewed it to something green. If a colour was too strong and dominant I cut the block in half through that section and joined them to other bits.

IMG_0799.JPG

I found a couple of pieces that were like little trees, in pink and greens, and set them in too.

IMG_0796.JPG

I have now finished and quilted it and here it is.

116.jpg

It was enjoyable, no fuss, easy and very light hearted as an exercise - and you could use any colour as your fillers.

Have fun.

21 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ta for the inspiration! You make it look so easy!

I've missed your blog. Please keep talking to us!

Hugz

10:37 pm  
Blogger Dot said...

Oh Jenny, it's so good to have you back. What a lovely little quilt.. and the process looked like such fun. I must play more!

10:46 pm  
Blogger Sue said...

Welcome back and what a great play of colour you've created.

11:02 pm  
Blogger Carol said...

Welcome back to blogworld! Have missed your wonderful photos and posts so much.

Your 'green' quilt is such fun. Everyone'll want to follow in your footsteps.

8:01 am  
Blogger kaiteM said...

an instant masterpiece, and such fun...k.

9:37 am  
Blogger Del said...

Lovely to see you again! I hope you will find time in your busy life to continue blogging. You have been missed. Del-SCalifornia

3:54 pm  
Blogger Lindi said...

Good to see you back. :)

I love the technique you used to make this great little quilt. certainly gives me some ideas! Thanks, Jenny.

8:02 pm  
Blogger Joy V said...

Great little quilt - gives me some ideas to use my scraps with. Thank you.

11:19 pm  
Blogger Margaret Cooter said...

Delightful! Love that process of setting the rules...

5:32 pm  
Blogger QuiltingFitzy said...

What's up with life getting in the way!!! ...but seriously, we all understand.

We've been leaving the light on for ya, and now you've returned with a lovely little project.

Well done!

10:00 pm  
Blogger Tena Walton said...

As ever, Jenny, I am in awe xx Tena

5:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, it is good to see you back! And with a fascinating idea! Thanks!

Rosemary K

2:22 am  
Blogger Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

You've been making crumb blocks. Great job, love the trees.

12:02 pm  
Blogger Angie said...

Hola Jenny, most wonderful teacher!!!.... Remember me? Angie form Portugal... you said you would never forget me, I am testing you. I make these scrappy things all the time, they never look as artistic or gorgeous as your first try!! darn you are good, see you at the NEC? beijinhos xx

3:21 am  
Blogger Quinta da Quilter said...

Hand dye workshop in Ascot? Your colors are stunning! Nothing like a little playtime!
bjs,
Garen

3:59 pm  
Blogger OzRose said...

Love what you do Jenny!

I remember reading some time ago about your contacts in Eqypt re taxi drivers etc...I have a friend who is planning on going over next year so thought it would be nice to give her the contact :)
So if you wouldnt mind, could you email me the details please?
Best wishes
Val

8:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice youé back!

11:00 pm  
Anonymous Bia, from Brazil said...

I like it very much! Congratulations.

6:53 am  
Anonymous margret osk said...

I like this playing with scraps very much.Thank you for the inspiration.

Best wishes from a quilter in Iceland

11:26 am  
Blogger Donna said...

gorgeous color combination

8:59 am  
Anonymous Egypt packages said...

I'm sure that the last article. It is more interesting and very useful.
Most of the other compositions have been done to death.

I would be interested in seeing the flower idea. It might help many people get an idea of how to begin to step outside the "that's the way we always did it" box.

6:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Artful Quilters Web Ring
Previous | Next | Random
Join | List
Powered by RingSurf