Thursday, August 02, 2007

Out of the Darkness and into the Night

I have finished a quilt for my eldest daughter's fortieth birthday. That was on the 25th May - I am running a tad late.

I am doing a 'sum up' blog - starting at the beginning and ending with finished image and some fo the details.

IMG_4700.JPG
first - the grid and the starry sky(this is a detail)

IMG_4692.JPG
Then the first lot of rocks - but it felt flat and background-ish.

IMG_7749.JPG
I put in more and larger rocks in the foreground, and appliquéd silver lame shells around the cooler edges of the midden.


IMG_7761.JPG
I quilted in other rocks and shells on outer edges. The moon felt too small and the red grid could have been desert - and I wanted it to feel a bit like water.

IMG_7886.JPG
Desperately needed gold lame turned up and I stitched more shells into the hot centre. It was improving and things were warming up.

IMG_7887.JPG
I really liked the metallic quality of the lame shells on the hot areas.


IMG_7882.JPG
I enlarged the moon, stitched a moonpath into the water, and beaded the sky and parts of the sea. I bound it with a narrow deep blue binding only a shade lighter than the background heavy silk.

I think it is finished.

Happy birthday Karmen

7 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

GOrgeous work, Jenny!

1:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved it!
Hint: my birthday is coming up soon.

2:58 am  
Blogger Lindi said...

Breathtaking, Jenny. I've enjoyed following your progress. Thank you.

8:14 am  
Blogger Helen from Canberra said...

Jenny,

I am running out of superlatives. I swear I would be able to hold my hands over this quilt to warm them up.

It is a perfect winter's morning in the ACT presently around 8o on its way to a max of 14o. The sun is shining and there is not a cloud in sight.

Cheers Helen

8:50 am  
Blogger Dy said...

It's fantastic Jenny. I love the subtle red effect you've created on the water, & the stones are gorgeous.

9:12 am  
Blogger Liz Needle said...

Stunning quilt, Jenny. I wish was one of your daughters!

9:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny:

It is fun to see the evolution of your work. That's much better than just seeing the finished product. I can now understand and appreciate the finished quilt compared to what it once was and it is so much more interesting.

Judith G. Glover

10:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Artful Quilters Web Ring
Previous | Next | Random
Join | List
Powered by RingSurf