Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Taxis and Walking the City of the Dead

I have been away from this blog for so long that it feels almost impossible to try to catch up.

We have travelled to the area in the south known as Upper Egypt - which seems to confuse everyone. It was such a brilliant trip, and each day was so big and so monumental in what I saw and did that the task of writing it was daunting. Unusually I had very little access to email. Many of the hotels we stayed in had only a button to push to dial out on the phone and that made it impossible to rig the phone cord to connect my computer.

Then we arrived home to find that in the process of house painting we had lost our internet conection - and because we have a networked pair of computers and the monitor on one had fried itself the day or so before we left it was almost impossible to work out what was wrong.

So - we now have a new monitor, but life is still hectic. Tomorrow we leave for Libya for a week, part setting up the quilt show and part holiday.

I went for another walk in the City of the Dead and the Dyers' Khan yesterday with good friends, and took a stack of photos with a new and better camera!

So - this is a visually rich, text poor blog - but remember it is my first time organising images without the assistance of my lovely blog fairy!

Spinners in the City of the Dead



i just had another worrying taxi driver - and this time I thought I might end up dead. For some reason he had it fixed in his mind that I was Israeli, and kept asking if I was from Haifa. He drove faster and faster, and more and more crazily, until he hit someone and I managed to get out. I do not understand my bad luck with cabs - I have more trouble with them than anyone else in the embassy.

5 Comments:

Blogger Karoda said...

Hi Jenny, I went to your flickr photos because I just couldn't wait...I love your photos and the images that you introduce me to... such a mesmerizing spot on the globe

10:32 am  
Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

I think you've had more problems with the cab drivers than anyone I know. Actually hitting someone - scary. I've been in ones that have come close (and even closer to rear-ending or side-swiping another car) but never actually made contact. Glad you made it thru safely and hope the computer problems get straightened out.

8:20 pm  
Blogger aykayem said...

Hi Jenny,
I cheated and looked on flickr too - love the photos!
... I actually found the photos by clicking on "view" and choosing "source" in my browswer - lets me see the html code the page is written in ... and I found the link - I think you tried to post a link to the flickr page with the whole set of photos instead of doing them one by one as images? ... and computers being so litteral - it probably couldn't work out that you wanted the pictures to show up there ;-)
of course I could be barking up the wrong tree too ... LOL
anyway - for anyone else who wants to cheat - www.flickr.com/photos/jennybowker/73212709/in/set-1574237 is where I found the pictures ...
Now I guess I had better go read the bit about the taxi driver - I just realised I didn't actually read that far down yet! LOL
btw ... for those who don't know who the heck "aykayem" is - I am Andrea from Canberra ;-)

2:11 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, like your many other friends,, we're anxiously awaiting the next taxi drive installment!

Meantime: have a wonderful wonderful Christmas and the happiest of new years

Much love
The Waltons

7:02 am  
Blogger Moyey said...

That picture is just wonderful. It really seems to capture Cairo!

7:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Artful Quilters Web Ring
Previous | Next | Random
Join | List
Powered by RingSurf