Monday, March 14, 2005

Photos from the bead souk

Pearls on walls

I promised pictures from the bead souk - even on a Sunday when most shops were closed it was spectacular. You can see the beginning of a wall of pearls with a glimpse of turquoise behind. There was amber below.

A glowing wall of coral

I couldn't get over how wonderful the colours seemed in the corals. They may well be chemically boosted. Somehow I don't really care. It reminded me that I tell my students to use every red, not just one or two, if they really want a piece to glow.

About one quarter of the turquoise wall
About one quarter of the turquoise wall

This is not a picture with a lot of impact as the details are but I really want to get across the scale of this one shop. Add in the walls of amethyst, carnelian, peridot, malachite, lapis, coral, pearls and multiply that by perhaps another thirty shops in the streets nearby and you are getting an idea of the possibilities here.

The better quality
Better quality turquoise with the rough rocks at the bottom.

Turquoise
My favourite are the oddly greenish turquoise of the lowest grade with almost as much rock as semi-precious stone.

Smaller turquoise
The little ones.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooohh Jenny - this beadaholic is practically drooling - the photos are wonderful. Linda, NSW Australia

9:14 am  
Blogger Cathy said...

Bead Heaven! Thanks for posting all the pics of your travels. They're wonderful. I really enjoy looking at them.
Cathy from USA

12:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Artful Quilters Web Ring
Previous | Next | Random
Join | List
Powered by RingSurf