Saturday, March 26, 2005

Henna

Henna

Black and white pattern sheets that look about the size of A3 paper are everywhere. These are patterns for henna for hands or feet. I photographed some. They stick lightly onto the hand, then henna is smoothed on as a paste. The stencil is lifted away leaving a pattern in lumpy dark brown paste. This is left on until it dries, then any debris is brushed away to leave a crisp pattern which can last seven days if you don't wash too hard. As I photographed them a young woman stopped to tell me that this is a new craze, to use the stencils. "Not as good as the old way, which needed some skill", she said.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dorothy said...

Wonderful stories and pictures Jenny. Injoyed the read. Regards, Dorothy in Canberra.

9:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo Henna,
We are South Africans that moved to Cairo a year ago.One of my hobbies is fabric painting and I am looking for a place in Cairo where I can buy fabric painting. Mayby you know a place where I can buy fanbric painting. Tank you very much. Moira

1:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Artful Quilters Web Ring
Previous | Next | Random
Join | List
Powered by RingSurf